Metro State home > About Metro State > Metro Blogs > Aaron "Jack" Wylie

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Loss


I've had a rough start to my semester. I found out last week that my Grandma died. We all knew it was coming. It was really a blessing since she has been in so much pain for so long. Yet, that doesn't make it any easier to let go.

I flew out to Ohio this last Sunday, and her Funeral was on Monday. All of my family was there. It was an open casket. Just about everything made me cry. As far as funerals go it was a really nice service. My Aunt spoke, and what she said was perfect. It was almost exactly what I would have liked to say, if I could have done it without breaking down.

I was a pallbearer. I've never done that before, but for my grandma I really wanted to. She was buried in a cemetery in New Concord, right next to my grandpa. The cemetery is home to generations and generations of the Wylie family, including Moses Wylie, the first person buried there.

My grandma was an amazing woman, and one of the best examples of a woman of God that I have ever known. She cared for so many people. She was humble, kind, and could always find a reason to smile. She was in tremendous pain for over 40 years, but I strain to remember a time that she complained. She loved God, her family, and everyone around her.

We will miss you grandma. It won't be the same without you. You are home now.

Mary Janice Wylie
1925-2006